Quotes from Daring Greatly by Brené Brown:
"Only when we're brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light."
"I believe honest conversations about vulnerability and shame can change the world."
"We all want to Dare Greatly. If you give us a glimpse into that possibility, we'll hold on to it as our vision. It can't be taken away."
Intros & Opening Thoughts
- am I too vulnerable? I'm an open book. Need for barriers.
- These are my people
- Open book v. boundaries
- Get out of comfort zone
- Perfectionism leading to shame
- Won't lead you to success
- Getting over the belief of "I am what I accomplish."
What is vulnerability?
- Willing to share something that could hurt you
- Opening yourself up
- Putting yourself out there
- Being brave and courageous
- Does it come across as foolish?
- Has presence. Knowing you're in a tender place
- It is NOT sharing when you don't know the person or the response you're going to get
- Stories in our head
- What happens when we feel like we Need to share?
- Role of grief
- Vulnerability gone well - when you already have a relationship with the person you're sharing with
- Venting v. authentic sharing
- Is sharing with someone you don't think you'll see again really being vulnerable? Is it a risk?
- I can't be more invested in your mental health than you are
- Using "helping" someone as a distraction
- Metaphor of the field lines in a soccer game
Types of Vulnerability
- Empathy v sympathy - don't NEED to fix it
- Being able to BE in the silence
Us V. Them
- More likely to be critical of others if you are critical of yourself
- If you don't love yourself you operate from a terrible place
- Only know how to criticize others because you are criticizing yourself
- I don't need you to fix it. I just need you to listen.
- Movie suggestion: When a man Loves a Woman
- Being kind to self - so that others will know I'm being authentic
- Healthy Boundaries
- Book recommendation: The 5 Love Languages
Additonal Concepts & Questions to explore:
- Is getting past shame necessary for getting to vulnerability?
- What is the difference between worthiness and ego?
Fill in this sentence: I am worthy/enough right now because ______.