Quotes from Brene Brown:
"I believe honest conversations about vulnerability and shame can change the world."
"Yes, we are totally exposed when we are vulnerable. Yes, we are in the torture chamber that we call uncertainty. And, yes, we're taking a huge emotional risk when we allow ourselves to be vulnerable. But there's no equation where taking risks, braving uncertainty, and opening ourselves up to emotional exposure equals weakness."
"Every time we choose courage, we make everyone around us a little better and the world a little braver, and our world could stand to be a little kinder and braver."
How does vulnerability make you feel?
- Scared to try new things
- Want to be invisible
- Nervous about perceptions of others
- Relief - when w/ someone you trust
How do you fill in this statement: Not ______ enough.
- Not PERFECT enough
Do our "not enough" feelings come from an internal or external place of origin?
- Internal AND comparison
- Making up for things
What messages influence our behavior?
- Success at all costs
- Seeing what others have and wanting it because they have it (not because we want it)
- Progress is success
- Struggle to have patience with self when others seem to be moving so quickly (perception)
- Defense mechanism
- Protecting ourselves - can't interact with others until I’m "good enough"
- What if they ask me ____?
- Making assumptions
Our insecurities cause us to set up defense mechanisms
Important to remember the positive things in our life and our successes
Why do we struggle with compliments?
Giving V. Receiving - relationship to TRUST
- Uncomfortable in the spotlight
- Don't believe it - so think person is not being genuine
- Defense mechanism - of not wanting / letting people know you
Beware of comparing someone else's highlight reel to your behind the scenes
- Why do we have to "force" ourselves to have fun?
- The concept of why we hide our vulnerability but respect someone else's
- Struggle with comparing self to people at work - something to work on and be more aware of